Talk:VisiPics version 2.0
(→Suggestion User 6)
(→Suggestion User 7: new section)
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
Revision as of 21:40, 13 July 2012
Feel free to comment, let's make a software you like together.
Suggestion User 1
First off, thanks for the program and it's nice to know that you are still working on it.
My suggestion is that when adding folders they can be added in two different categories, "exempt" folders where images are not compared internally nor with other "exempt" folders and "regular" where they are compared against the complete list of folders.
Suggestion User 2
As suggested, the capacity for huge collections would be good!
Also, try adding some way of outputting the results to a text file. If the manipulation has be performed in another program it'd be easier if it could be automated instead of manually copying the filename of each of the VisiPics results.
Even with its current limitations it's a pretty good piece of software!
Suggestion User 3
I would like to see the ability to remove a folder from the list and have that memory released. With the current version if you remove a folder from the comparison list after it has been loaded the memory allocated still remains in use.
Suggestion User 4
Edit User Bobt755 -- 20/2/2012. I've added some suggestions on the other Q/A page. thanks
Suggestion User 5
- Thumbnails: I suggest having the thumbnail size changable (small medium bigger?). It is maybe too small in some occasions.
- Thumbnails: Also i would like to "click ignore" a thumbnail. Maybe pressing Ctrl+click marks "Ignore", pressing Alt + Click marks "Delete" (what currently just is "marked"), shift+click marks "Move", doing a double click marks the whole group (or all thumbnails currently displayed in the group for that matter).
- Thumbnails: A click without pressing shift-alt or ctrl should not mark the thumbnail ,because thats what i do accidentaly when first using the software. Instead i expect the image to load in preview when simply clicking it. On the other hand, the image should not be loaded when simply hovering over the thumbnails. Double clicking a thumbnail should perhaps open it full window! Perhaps that is more intuitive overall.
- Thumbnails: Also browsing the thumbnails are a bit SLOW, because the pictures are being loaded at the same time. This should be avoided somehow.
- Thumbnails: Sorting the thumbnails from left to right, where on the left are the best quality images, on the right the least good quality. Maybe this avoids fear of deletion the wrong image.
- Thumbnails: Marking a group, when the search isnt finished ,causes additionally found pictures to also be marked. Perhaps this isnt a good idea, or should be optional.
- Thumbnails: Right-Clicking a thumbnail should allow you to to advanced commit actions. For example directly delete a picture, or move one or rename it stuff like that. Marking can be done by left clicking and should be removed from that menu.
- Interface: A commit button, to apply whatever has been marked accordingly. "Ignore-Marked" pictures = remove from list. "Delete-Marked" pictures = delete. "Move-Marked" pictures = move them to other folder.
- Interface: With the changes above the interface should be cleaned up. There may be a button similar to the ones on the right (Tools and Actions) to "unmark everything" ,"autoselect everything" and "commit". That makes 3 buttons, where currently there are 6.
- Work List: Where you add folders to include, this should also be used to add folders to exclude (ignore). You use currently a button to "ignore folder" but this is unnessesary with the work list. I suggest that simply adding a folder it is set to include by default (with all subdirectories). Clicking a checkbox/button/gizmo on each entry and you can switch it to exclude. Exclude folders override include folders, so that it ensures excluded folders are really excluded, in case the same folder or subfolder is also being included. Perhaps add another checkbox/button/gizmo to enable/disable subfolders. Perhaps this is more intuitive!
- General: Saving the Project should save the working state. So committed changes are saved (ignored pictures stay hidden for example). You can resume the search if it wasnt finished, or keep up again if it has to search from the start. But the similarities already found should remain displayed, the marks should remain, the hidden ones should stay hidden etc.
- General: "Auto mark" should apply only to perfect matching files. IE pictures that are 100% similar (or maybe 99% if you trust your algorithm). Because anything else i dont trust. It is only useful this way, because you can use it first to remove what is similar. And then you manually search what is left. (Currently you do manual search, and then you are supposed to do "auto mark". But this doesnt make sense cause u will need to manually search all pictures and then any automatism will be useless) Generally this means, you search, do auto-mark and commit. Then you have a smaller list to work on manually. Manually select and commit. Voila! :p
- Auto-mark: You should have a detailed option to set what auto-mark should exactly do. Say a slider to allow for 1-100% picture similarities, a slider 1-100% file size difference. (for example a jpeg may contain the same pic but have different metadata, so it is 1 byte bigger = 99% file size similarity = automark this when the slider allows 99%. But this wont mark pictures that are half the size you get the picture)
That software is great btw! Love it
Suggestion User 6
i wanna say that I'm really appreciate your hard work - thank you for the great app !
and i have something i would like you to add next version: i will appreciate if i could just "paste" the path of the folder that i wanna scan, and not only explore to it. it's faster for me to "ctrl+c" the path and then "ctrl+v" it sometimes (in deep path's).
Suggestion User 7
Really useful software ... many thanks for sharing this!
A suggestion for 2.0: how about adding an option to find ‘new’ photos, i.e. ones that are not already included in one or more photo folders. This would require VisiPics image similarity recognition functionality so it’s a natural complement to the existing functions.
I’m thinking of something along the lines of (a) being able to select one or more of your current photo folders (as currently), then (b) being able to select one or more folders (or drives) to search for new photos, then (c) being able to copy any newly-identified photos to a further directory, ideally automatically creating subdirectories based on the date the photo was taken.
I'm currently doing this by (a) creating temporary copies of potential photo sources, then (b) using VisiPics to auto-select and delete duplicates from the temporary area, then (c) using something else to find all the image files that remain in the temporary area. Pretty clumsy, but does the job when there are only a few additional possible sources and even this would be close to impossible without VisiPics.
July 13, 2012